Jaggery is widely used to make sweets for festivals in Tamizh Nadu. It is considered to be healthier than sugar. No festival menu is complete with out a payasam.Bengal gram payasam can be prepared quickly.
- Bengal gram( Kadalai Parupu) – 2 table spoons
- Coconut grated – 3 table spoons
- Milk – 2 cups
- Jaggery – 3 table spoons
- Cardamom – 3 nos
- Ghee – 2 teaspoons
- Cashew nuts – 6 nos
- Pressure cook the bengal gram dal with 1 cup water. Dal should be soft.
- Grind the coconut along with cardamom to a fine paste.
- Mix milk, cooked dal and coconut paste in a heavy bottomed pan and bring to boil.
- Add the jaggery and mix well.The payasam is ready now. Transfer the payasam to a serving dish.
- Break the cashews into small pieces. Fry in ghee till golden and add to the payasam.
- Serve hot or cold.
- Never allow the payasam to boil after adding jaggery.
- If you feel the jaggery is impure you can make a syrup by adding little water, strain through a filter and use.