Gojju is a semi pickle with a tamarind and jaggery gravy. Kannadigas prepare a variety of Gojjus as side dish. It will stay fresh in fridge for around two weeks.
1. Colour capisicum (Red, Yellow, Green, Purple) – 2 cups (cut into small pieces)
2. Jaggery – 2 table spoons
3. Tamarind – lemon sized ball
4. Til oil – 3 table spoons
5. Green chilies – 2 (Finely Chopped)
6. Curry leaves – 6 leaves
7. Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
8. Fenugreek – 1 teaspoon
9. Urad dal -1 teaspoon
10. Perungayam – ¼ teaspoon
11. Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
12. Fenugreek Powder – 1 teaspoon
13. Red chili powder – 2 table spoons
14. Salt to taste
• Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan, add mustard seeds. When it crackles add fenugreek and urad dal.
• Add the chopped capsicum, green chilies and curry leaves. Add turmeric and perungayam and sauté for two minutes. Cover and cook on a low flame till the capsicum is soft.
• Soak tamarind in hot water and extract around ½ cup juice.
• Add tamarind extract and cook till the liquid evaporates and oil comes to the top.
• Add jaggery, red chili powder, fenugreek powder and salt. Mix well and cook for five more minutes on a low flame.
• Your Capsicum Gojju is ready. Can be served with all tiffins and rice.