I prepared a simple lunch for aadivelli this year. Manja pongal recipe is already posted and others will be posted soon.
- Manja Pongal
- Kadalai Paruppu Payasam
- Venthaya Kuzhambu
- Urulikizhangu Podimas
- Kothamalli thengai pachadi ( Coriander raita)
- Pudalangai Poriyal
Venthaya kuzhambu is a great side dish for Manja Pongal. Vegetables like Okra, yellow pumpkin, brinjal and tomato can be used for the kuzhambu.
- Tamarind – Lemon size ball
- *Fresh bean seeds – 1/2 cup
- Tomato – 4 medium sized
- Sambhar powder – 2 teaspoons
- Red chili – 2 nos
- Curry leaves – a few
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
- Hing – a small piece
- Til Oil – 1 tbs
- Rice flour – 2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Soak tamarind in hot water for some time. Extract tamarind pulp adding 2 cups water.
- Cut tomato into small pieces. Heat til oil in a heavy bottomed pan, add mustard seeds.
- When mustard seeds crackle add hing, fenugreek seeds and red chili and saute till fenugreek is brown.
- Add tomato, beans and curry leaves and saute . Cover and cook on a low flame for 3 minutes.
- Add sambar powder and mix well. Add the tamarind extract and salt. Allow to boil for 5 minutes.
- Mix the rice flour in 1 tbs water and add to the venthaya kuzhambu.Boil for a minute and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve hot with manja pongal.
*A variety of fresh beans like avarai thuvarai etc are available during this season. I have used fresh kaaramani.