Thavalai Adai is a variation of adai. It is steamed in a vengala paanai or handi instead of tawa.
This dish must be prepared leisurely and served hot.
- Boiled Rice : 3 cups
- Toordal : 1 cup
- Channa dal : 1 cup
- Urad dal : 1 cup
- Coconut : 1/2 cup ( grated)
- Red chillies : 4 nos
- Curry leaves : 2 twigs
- Oil : 2 table spoons
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak boiled rice for 1 hour. Wash and soak the dals separately.
- Coarsely grind boiled rice, add the dals, red chillies and grind to a coarse and thick batter.
- Add salt, coconut and roughly chopped curry leaves and mix well.
- Heat a vengala paanai ( Bronze pot) on medium flame and spread 2 teaspoons oil.
- Spread two table spoons of batter into thick adai and make a hole in center.
- Cover the paanai with a shallow bowl filled with one glass of water.
- Cook over low flame for 3 to 4 minutes. Once vapour rises from the bowl the adai will be cooked well.
- Remove carefully with a spoon. Prepare all the adais in the same way.
- Serve hot with Avial, Pulikaichal or vethal kuzhambu.