Although I spend much of my time eating at amma’s place, I do a fair bit of cooking as well. For example this vanilla cake topped with white chocolate and pistachios that I made last evening. People looking for a basic vanilla eggless cake can make this recipe minus the ganache sandwich.
Makes: 10-12 servings
For the Cake
- All Purpose Flour – 1 1/4 cup
- Milk Powder – 3 tbsp
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Butter – 1/2 cup
- Milk – 3/4 cup
- Baking Powder – 2 tsp
- Cooking Soda – 1/2 tsp
- Vanilla – a few drops
For the Filling and Topping
- White Chocolate – 125 gms
- Fresh Cream – 1/4 cup
- Pistachio – 1/4 cup (whole)
- Line a baking dish 9 by 9 (or equivalent) baking dish.
- Powder the sugar well. Cream the butter and sugar.
- Mix the flour and milk powder. Fold this into the butter-sugar. Fold in the milk. Add vanilla and mix. Divide this batter into two parts. Refrigerate one part immediately.
- Add 1 tsp of baking powder and 1/4 tsp of cooking soda to one part of batter. Pour into the baking dish. Bake at 220 C for 40 minutes or until skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cake and transfer to a flat tray or cake holder. Line the 9 by 9 baking dish again.
- Take out the remaining batter from the fridge. Repeat step 4 to bake another cake. Cool completely.
- Chop the White chocolate to small pieces.
- Bring the Fresh Cream to a boil over medium heat.
- Take off heat and pour over the chopped chocolate in medium bowl. Whisk well until the ganache (chocolate-cream mixture) is smooth, silky and shiny.
- Spread half of this ganache on top of one cake. Place the second cake on top of the first cake and spread the rest of the ganache on top. Dot with pistachios.
- Refrigerate until the ganache is set, cut into pieces and serve. Can be served slightly warmed with ice cream on side.
Vanilla Cake with White Chocolate and Pistachio – for the Recipe Marathon
Fellow recipe marathoners:
DK, Siri, Srivalli, Ranji, PJ, Curry Leaf, Medha, Priya, Bhawna, Raaji, Ruchii
Anu, Kamala, Roopa, Divya Kudua, Rekha, Divya M, Raaga, Lakshmi Venkatesh, Sripriya, Viji, , Kamalika,Pavani, Roochi, Karuna