I have prepared the appams in a kadai,(the big ones) as well as the appa kuzhi (small ones).
- Raw Rice – 1 cup
- Urad dal – 1 teaspoon
- Grated coconut – 2 table spoons
- Jaggery – 3/4 cup
- Cardamom – 1 no
- Oil – 1 cup for deep frying
- Wash and soak the rice and urad dal for 1 hour
- Grind to a smooth paste adding very little water.
- Add the jaggery and coconut and grind to mix well.
- Add cardamom powder.The batter should be like dosa batter.
- Heat oil in a kadai on a medium flame and pour ladle full of batter in the center of the kadai.
- Smear oil on the appam using the chattuvam (slotted spoon). Once the appam rises turn slowly. cook both sides till brown.
- Drain the oil and take out on a kitchen paper.
You can also make the appams in a appa kuzhi.
This appam is my entry for JFI Rice event hosted by Sharmi of Neivedyam.
I’ll post the pictures when I prepare the prasadam tomorrow.