This is one of the first recipes I learnt. When we stayed in the Telephones quarters at Hyderabad, a Nair family moved in to our opposite flat. Mrs Nair was a great cook and we loved her aapam with a simple stew. I prepared this stew as a side dish for dosa as my hubby is not particularly interested in aapam. Stew tasted exactly the way aunty prepares and tasted great with dosa.
Posting a recipe for Srivalli’s MW event is not a big deal for me as I cook almost everything in the MW. Still I have not sent entries to her events in the past few months! Stew is my first entry for this months MEC! :)
- Potato – 2 no
- Carrot – 1 no
- Onion – 1 small
- Tomato – 1 small
- Curry leaves – 1 twig
- Ginger – 1/2 inch piece
- Green chillies- 2 nos
- Coconut grated – 1/2 cup
- Cloves – 2 nos
- Cinnamon – 2 sticks
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Wash peel and cut the carrots into 1 inch sticks. Add turmeric powder and MW high for 3 minutes in a microwave safe container.
- Add 1 cup water to the coconut and grind in a mixer. Pass through a strainer and squeeze out the milk.Keep this thick coconut milk separately.
- Add 2 more cups of water to the coconut and grind again. Pass through a strainer and squeeze out the milk. This is slightly thinner than the milk extracted first.
- In an MW safe bowl, add oil, cloves and cinnamon sticks. MW high for 10 seconds.
- Add finely chopped onions, tomatoes, green chillies, ginger and curry leaves and MW high for 1 minute.
- Add the parboiled potato, carrots, salt and the thin coconut milk and MW high for 2 minutes.
- Add the thick coconut milk and MW for 1/2 minute. Serve hot with Aapam or Dosa.