Kashayams are magical medicinal drinks conjured with a few simple kitchen ingredients. Think of a singular drink that takes less than 5 minutes to cook and that can cure nausea, drive away cold, take care of that nagging lack of appetite or those digestion problems after an unnecessary binge – that’s a typical Kashayam for you.
Maamis (the south indian women brigade) in the part of the world that I live in don’t just excel at making Kashayams but also excel in feeding their children Kashayams with smart techniques for taste acquisition and negotiation that would put a ninja to shame.
- Ajwain (Carom Seeds) – 1/2 tsp
- Black Pepper Corns – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Seeds – 1 tsp
- Jeera (Cumin) – 1/2 tsp
- Ginger – 1/2 inch piece
- Honey – 2 tsp (adjust to taste)
- Water – 3/4 cup
- In a dry skillet on medium heat, roast the ajwain, black pepper corns, coriander seeds and jeera till you get an aroma.
- Skin the Ginger piece and crush. Add water and followed by ginger to the rest of the ingredients in the skillet.
- Let it simmer till the water is reduced to 1/2 cup.
- Strain the kashayam. Add honey and serve warm.
Other Recipe Marathoners: