A spicy gravy which goes well with breakfasts. Can also be served as a part of the lunch.
- Brinjal – 1/4 kg
- Bengal gram dal – 1 tea spoon
- Urad dal – 1 tea spoon
- Pepper – 1/2 tea spoon
- Chillies (red) – 4-5
- Coriander seeds – 1 tea spoon
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Fenu greek seeds- 1/2 tea spoon
- Grated coconut -2 tablespoons
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Tamarind – small lemon sized(soaked in water)
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder – 1 tea spoon
- Mustard seeds – 1 tea spoon
- A few curry leaves
- Dry roast bengal gram dal, urad dal, fenugreek, pepper, asafoetida, chillies, coriander seeds till golden
- Add grated coconut and fry for 1 more minute till the coconut becomes golden.
- Slit brinjal into four (as we do for stuffing). Heat oil in a kadai. Add the seasoning. After the mustard splutters, add the slit brinjal, add salt and turmeric powder.
- Soak the tamarind in warm water and squeeze the pulp adding 1 and1/2 cup water. While the brinjals are half cooked add the tamarind pulp to it.
- Allow to simmer till the brinjal is fully cooked. Now add the powder to it and boil it for two seconds.
- Garnish it with curry leaves.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve hot with white rice or chappatis.