Neer dosai is a Karnataka special, usually served with a vegetable gravy spiced with green chili and coconut. Neer dosai can be good to carry as lunch as it retains its softness and doesn’t become dry.The texture is like a tissue paper.
Ingredients for Neer Dosai:
- Raw rice – 2 cups
- Coconut (Grated) – ¾ cup
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak the rice for 3 hours or overnight.
- Grind the rice and coconut to a very fine batter. Add salt and 4 cups water.
- The batter should be of butter milk consistency.
- Heat a tawa with rim on a medium flame. It should not be too hot. *Hold the tawa in your left hand and spread the batter on to the tawa with a cup or deep ladle.
- Now place the tawa back on the stove and keep the flame high. Turn the dosa after two minutes. Cook both sides and place the dosa on to a plate.
- Continue with the rest of the batter in the same way. Always stir the batter before pouring on to the tawa.
*Preparing this dosa is tricky and one can learn by practice only.
- Yellow red and green coloured capsicum – 1 cup (roughly chopped)
- Urad dal – 2 teaspoons
- Channa dal – 2 teaspoons
- Coriander seeds – 2 teaspoons
- Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Red chili – 2
- Green chili – 1
- Curry leaves – 6 leaves
- Perungayam – a small piece
- Til oil – 1 table spoon
- Tamarind – 2inch piece
- Salt to taste.
- Heat oil and fry coriander seeds, urad dal, channa dal, perungayam, mustard seed and red chilies till golden.
- Add the chopped capsicum, green chili, tamarind and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame. Cover and cook on low flame till the capsicum is soft.
- Allow to cool. Add salt and grind to a paste. You can serve this chutney with any tiffin or serve with rice.