Preparing rasam is simplest for an experienced cook but beginners want to know the secret behind the tasty rasam prepared by their mothers.I have used home grown tomatoes for this rasam. Rasam can be easily prepared by anyone in the microwave.
- Tomatoes – 2 medium sized
- Toor dal – 1 tbs
- Rasam powder – 2 teaspoons
- Hing – a small piece
- coriander – 3 twigs
- Salt – to taste
- Water – 3 cups
For the seasoning
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Red chili – 1 no
- Cut the tomatoes into pieces, place in a MW safe bowl and MW high for 2 minutes.Allow to cool and grind in the mixer to a puree.
- Pressure cook the toor dal. Mash the cooked dal and mix with the tomato puree into a MW safe bowl.
- Add rasam powder, hing, salt, water and MW high for 4 minutes.
- Chop the coriander leaves and add to the rasam.
- Heat 1 tsp ghee add the mustard seeds and red chili, when the mustard crackles add to the rasam.
Rasam can be serves with rice, or in a glass. Sambar powder can be used if you don,t have a separate rasam powder.