This recipe for Whole wheat Cheese scone has been modified from a recipe that appeared alongside the french onion soup recipe in the 1000 Vegetarian Recipes from Around the World (published by Parragon, UK). (I used the word “recipe” too many times in the previous sentence and I am right now lost on how to fix that!) Since the original was too bland for my personal taste, I modified the original by hiking up the cheese, using cheddar instead of the parmesan, replacing the egg and adding herbs.
- Whole Wheat Atta (finely ground whole wheat flour) – 1 cup
- Butter – 1/4 cup
- Cheddar Cheese – 1/4 cup (grated) + plus more to top scones if you like
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Cooking Soda – 1 tsp
- Yogurt – 1 tbsp
- Red Chilli Flakes – 1 tbsp (or more, adjust to taste)
- Salt to taste
- Herbs of choice to taste
- Milk (enough to knead into a firm dough)
- Combine Whole Wheat Flour, Salt, Red chilli flakes, and herbs. Rub Butter into the flour mix and incorporate till it resembles bread crumbs. Add cheese, baking powder, cooking soda and yogurt and mix well.
- Add enough milk and knead into a soft dough. Roll out into 1/2-3/4 inch thick sheet. Cut into circles or into bars. Top scones with some grated cheese.
- Transfer to greased baking tray and bake at 220C for 20-25 minutes till golden brown.
Serve with soup of your choice.
Whole wheat cheese herb scones – for the Recipe Marathon
Fellow recipe marathoners:
DK, Siri, Srivalli, Ranji, PJ, Curry Leaf, Medha, Priya, Bhawna, Raaji, Ruchii
Anu, Kamala, Roopa, Divya Kudua, Rekha, Divya M, Raaga, Lakshmi Venkatesh, Sripriya, Viji, , Kamalika,Pavani, Roochi, Karuna