I have to admit that I turn into a lazy bum in the kitchen when I see my mom. If I am visiting Bangalore, I pig out on her food. If she’s visiting Chennai, I cook may be one dish which is invaribaly a bake, and get her to cook the rest. What amma cooks not just tastes good, it look good, smells good, and everything about it is insanely delicious.
One among the awesome dishes that have found their way to my stomach is this Red Capsicum Thogayal that she made on the side to go with dosas. They are divine! They don’t have much in them besides basic ingredients that we use for almost all thogayals and yet they are so unique and so flavourful that I am salivating at the memory of having this sometime back at Bangalore!
- Capsicum – 3/4 cup (finely chopped)
- Urad dal – 2 tbsp
- Red Chilli – 2 to 3 nos.
- Hing – a small piece
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 1tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Curry Leaves – a few
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Heat oil in a pan. Add Urad dal followed by Red chillies and hing. Saute until the urad dal turns golden.
- Add the chopped capsicum. Cover and cook on a low flame until the capsicum is done.
- Add salt and take off the flame. Set aside to cool. Pulse everything in to thogayal of spoonable consistency.
- Heat oil for the tadka, splutter the mustard seeds and fry the curry leaves. Add this to the thogayal.
Serve capsicum thogayal as a side dish for dosa, rava dosa, rava idli or rotis.
Capsicum Thogayal – for the Recipe Marathon.
Fellow recipe marathoners: