I don’t mind consuming deep fried foods once in a while. In fact as a family, some of our best loved food is deep fried – its a affliction that has been ingrained for generations – specially on my appa’s side. I must say that none of this love, that is unsullied by feelings of guilt, has transformed us into bulging balloons. We like to follow the famed and much difficult mid path in our food consumption – we’re neither on a “no fat””no deep fried” diet, nor are we on a gluttonous binge.
Beetroot Carrot Vadai is a deep fried sweetish savoury vadai (south indian fritters?) loaded with the joy of biting into a crunchiness that leads to a melting softness. It yummy in every way that you can possibly imagine. A sweet, a savoury, a dessert, a snack – all rolled into one.
- Beetroot – 2 cups (Grated)
- Carrot – 1 cup (Grated)
- Ginger – 1 inch pieces (minced into pieces)
- Coriander – 6-8 twigs (finely chopped)
- Gram Flour – 1 cup
- Rice Flour – 1 cup
- Chilli powder to taste
- Salt to taste
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Oil to deep fry
- Mix the grated beetroot, grated carrot, minced ginger, finely chopped coriander, salt and chilli powder.
- Add Rice flour and Gram flour and combine by hand. DO NOT add any water while making the dough. Grated Beetroot has enough water content that is needed to bring the flours together into a dough. You should be able to form a small ball with the resulting dough. The dough should not be watery. Add some more rice flour and gram flour in equal quantities if the dough feels wet and is not well combined. Add the ghee and combine well with the dough.
- Heat oil on a medium flame in a deep bottomed vessel. Take a small, approximately inch sized portion of the dough. Pat into a round thin disc. Make four or five such round discs.
- Drop the discs into the oil and fry till the sound subsides. Drain oil from the vadas and take out into a perforated vessel. Proceed with the rest of the dough. Adjust flame from low to medium, ensure that oil remain at a uniform temperature and does not get too hot that it starts smoking. Remove any particles, if there are any, after frying each batch.
- Transfer the vadas to a serving dish lined with kitchen paper.
- Serve with chutney or sauce of your choice.
Beetroot Carrot Vadas – crisp on the outside, soft inside – for the Recipe Marathon.
Check my fellow recipe marathoners: