Milk and milk products have high nutritious value when consumed in right quantities. While many of us would like to have fat free milk and curds, we should not forget that our children need to get some amount of fat in their diet. We can choose a half toned milk that will fulfill the needs of the entire family. Half toned milk has around 4% fat and we can easily prepare butter at home by removing the cream from this milk. I have been preparing butter at home for the past 27 years. It is not very difficult or time consuming.
Some like to collect cream from curds. I have found that cream collected from milk gives butter that is sweet. Fresh cream collected from milk can also be used in cooking.
- Boil 1/2 litre milk in the MW for 3 minutes. Allow to cool well.
- Refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours. A thick layer of cream will be formed at the top.
Cream floating on the top of refrigerated milk
- Remove the cream carefully with a slotted ladle and collect it in a wondelier bowl and store in the chill tray in the fridge.. Use the cream free milk for your beverages or for setting curds.
Cream collected in the wondelier bowl
- Collect cream in the same bowl for a week. Add a teaspoon of curd a leave for a few hours.
- Add 1/2 cup plain water, seal the bowl well and shake well for 3 minutes.
- You will see the butter floating in the bowl. Add some more water and remove the butter with wet hands. You can wash the butter with some more water if required.
Home made butter ready to use as you please
We can use this butter for preparing cakes and savouries. For festivals like Srijayanthi home made butter is best. It gives the bhakshanams a distinct flavour. We can boil the butter and prepare ghee. The smell and flavour of home made ghee is heavenly.