Maa Inji or Mango ginger may not be a familiar spice for many. It is easily available in southindia and tastes milder than ginger. This simple pickle tastes great with curd rice. This is my entry for Sunita’s think spice think ginger event! 🙂
- Maa inji – 1/4 kg
- Green chillies – 4 nos
- Lemon – 2 nos
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Vinegar – 1 cup (optional)
- Fresh green pepper – 100 gms (optional)
- Wash peel and cut the maa inji into thin rounds. Wash and dry the green peppercorns.
- Cut the green chillies into pieces. Take out the lemon juice. ( you can also slice to thin pieces and add)
- Mix all ingredients well in a bowl. Store in a airtight container in the fridge. Use after a day.
Vinegar is required only if you want to make large quantities and preserve for many months. I have not added pepper as it was not available in the market.
The season for maa inji and green milagu( pepper) is from september to january.