I was so excited when Linda announced Toor dal as the ingredient for JFI this month! 🙂 We use this dal almost everyday and I have already posted so many recipes using toor dal!
But then for the event I definitely wanted to post something exclusive, a recipe that a lot of people have been looking for. So I decided on this recipe as my entry for JFI Toordal hosted by Linda of Out of the Garden. Thanks for hosting the event Linda! 🙂 My MW version of this recipe is published in Tupperware Cook book! 🙂
For the dumplings
- Toor dal – 1 cup
- Red chillies – 3 nos
- Coriander leaves – 4 twigs
- Salt – to taste
For the sambhar(gravy)
- Tamarind – lemon sized ball
- Sambhar powder – 2 teaspoons
- Hing – 1/4 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak the toordal for 1 hour. Drain well and grind to a thick paste with salt and red chillies.
- Wash and chop the coriander and mix with the toordal paste.
- Soak tamarind in hot water for some time and take out the pulp to make 3 cups of tamarind juice. You can also use tamarind pulp stored in freezer.
- Take the tamarind juice in a thick bottomed pan. Add hing, sambhar powder, turmeric powder and salt to tamarind juice and boil on a medium flame.
- Make 2 inch balls out of the toordal paste and add 1 ball at a time to the boiling tamarind water (sambhar).
- Once the ball rises up add one more ball. Remove the balls as they rise up and keep in another container.
- After cooking all the balls this way, add all the balls to the sambhar again and cook for 5 minutes on a low flame.
- Your sambhar is ready to be served with rice or rotis.