I have never celebrated a deepavali with out this sweet! It takes less time to make more number of cakes and so it is easy for distributing among your friends! Just melts in your mouth like icecream! It took around 50 minutes for me to organize the things and finish the preparation. I got about 75 pieces measuring 1 and 1/2 inch squares. After preparing we must leave it to cool for 1 hour before cutting into cakes.
- Kadalai maavu, besan or gram flour – 3 cups
- Khoa – 1 cup
- Sugar – 5 cups
- Ghee – 2 cups
- Cardamom – 6 nos or almond essence- 1 teaspoon
- In a pan heat ghee and fry the besan on a medium flame till you get a nice aroma.
- In another heavy bottomed pan mix sugar with 2 cups water and heat on a medium flame.
- When the syrup forms one thread consistency, add grated khoa and the besan, ghee mixture and cook on a medium flame stirring continously.
- Add the cardamom powder or essence. Keep cooking till there are bubbles all over and the mixture starts leaving the sides.
- Grease a stainless steel or glass plate with ghee. To test if the cake is ready you can pour a small amount on the plate and check.
- Pour the cake in the greased plate when it is ready. Allow to cool. The ghee and khoa will take time to cool and solidify.
- Cut into squares with a sharp knife. If the cake is not done you can cook again on a low flame for a few more minutes.
Just follow the steps shown in the picture and you will make a superb cake!:)