I am awful at Math, especially for someone whose parents eat mental arithmetic for breakfast, lunch and dinner. But as far as cooking is concerned, this is how my math works:
A series of chocolatey posts at Emily’s ROL blog + a double chocolate treat at Jugalbandi+ a follow on @ Arundhati’s Escapades + a Madrasi’s chocolate indulgence = “I need to cook some Chocolate before I go mad”.
Now the elements of my eco system have this compulsive need to conspire against me at the most unnecessary hour – the nearest store ran out of cooking chocolate stock and chose to remain closed the following day. Hmph!!! Dear conspiring elements, FYI, there is ancient recipe which makes it possible for me to make brownies without the cooking chocolate. I chose to make the eggless version, since I have developed strong disliking for the smell of egg after my failed attempts at making poached and boiled eggs a part of the breakfast menu.
I am yet to invest in a convection oven (Dont ask me why -My parents furnished my kitchen exactly a year ago), so I made these in the microwave. Microwave Brownies aren’t as crusty as the ones made in a convection oven, but make delightful pudding bases.
Preparation: 10 minutes, Baking: 5 minutes, Yield: lasts two gluttons 10-15 days.
- All Purpose flour – 2 cups
- Cocoa Powder – 1 cup (increase or decrease as desired)
- Sugar – 1 1/2 cups
- Butter – 1/2 cup
- Milk Powder – 1 cup
- Milk – 1 cup
- Curd – 1/2 cup
- Nuts of your choice – as desired (I din’t add any)
- Flavourings of your choice – 1 tsp (Vanilla, Instant Coffee, Almonds)
*cups= 225ml or 8oz
- Line an Oven Proof Dish with Wax Paper. (or spread 1 tsp oil over a normal white paper lined in). Note: Dont choose a deep dish, thick brownies may end up becoming very fluffy and more cake like in the microwave.
- Powder the Sugar. Mix all ingredients into a smooth batter.
- Pour batter into the Oven Proof Dish. Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Check after the 4th minute for doneness by inserting the back of a spoon or fork through the cake. (Timings are for a 900 watts oven).
- Set aside for cooling. Invert into a flat plate and cut into pieces. Store in an air tight container.
Note: Overcooking or cutting while its still warm can make the cake very crumbly.
Is there a vegan version? No clue, though I dont see why one couldn’t try this with soymilk substitutes. Is this low fat? No idea, though I dont think 1/2 a cup of butter spread over 10-15 days of pure joy could be sinful. And if I cant burn that many calories, I must be a really lazy bum.
I like mine drenched in Apple Sauce and topped with some fresh cream.
- Apples – 4
- Bananas – 2
- Honey – 1 tsp
- Slice Apples and Bananas.
- Microwave Apple on high for 2 minutes.
- Add in Bananas and Microwave on high for 1 minute. Mash lightly.
- Add Honey and Microwave on high for 3 minutes. Mash lightly and set aside to cool.
- Pulse to a puree in a blender.