Uppu seedai is a must for Srijayanthi! This snack is some thing you can do in a leisurely way. You can mix the maavu, sit in front of the TV and watch a programme of your choice, white rolling the seedai balls on to a white cloth. Or you can listen to music while preparing these. A relaxed atmosphere will make cooking a pleasure! Use the flours prepared as per previous post. Click here for the flour recipe.
- Rice flour – 2 cups
- Urad dal flour – 1/4 cup
- Ghee – 1 table spoon
- Jeera – 2 teaspoons
- Hing powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Grated coconut – 1 table spoon
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying – 2 cups
- Mix all the ingredients except oil and make a soft dough using water.
- Make small balls around 3/4 cm in diameter( smaller than a marble) and leave to dry on a white cloth.
- After you finish with all the dough, Heat oil in a deep kadai and start frying the seedais a handful at a time.
- Keep the flame in medium throughout and stir in between for even cooking.
- Once the sound subsides totally, lower the flame, drain the seedais well and remove on a kitchen paper.
- Store in airtight containers.
Since many people inform me that Uppu Seedai is a mini terrorist who causes explosions in the kitchen here are some tips to avoid explosions:
- The scientific reason for bursting seedais will be water trapped in between or small rice grains. Roll the seedai well.
- To avoid Knead the dough very well. Seive the flour before roasting.