Super Fast Bisi Bele Huli Anna by Latha Narasimhan
Today I was very busy preparing goodies for my daughter and son in law . I am visiting them this weekend to celebrate my daughters 25th birthday. So I thought I need to cook some quick lunch. This is what I prepared in just 12 minutes.
- Rice – 1 cup
- Toor dal 1 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Onion – 1 medium sized
- Carrot – 1 medium sized
- Cabbage – a few leaves
- Beans – 5 nos
- Oil – 2 teaspoons
- Hing powder – 2 pinches
- Ghee – 1 tablespoon
- Tamarind Pulp- 1 tablespoon
- Salt to taste
For the paste
- Coriander seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Channadal – 1 teaspoon
- Methi Seeds 1/4 teaspoon
- Hing – a small piece
- Cardamom – 1 no
- Clove – 1 no
- Red chilli – 1 no
- Star Anise – 1no
- Cinnamon – 1 stick
- Grated Coconut 2 table spoons
Clockwise from 12’o clock: Hing, Methi Seeds, Coriander Seeds, Cloves, Cinnamon, Star Anise, Cardamom, Channa Dal and Red Chillies in the middle (Note: These are not quantities, its just a picture to get an overview of spices)
- Groundnuts – 1/2 a cup
- Papads – 3
- Grated Coconut stored in the fridge
- Thick Tamarind Pulp stored in the fridge
- You must be fast with vegetable cutting
- And a small cooker aids in fast cooking of rice and dal is quite handy to speed up things
- An organized kitchen where all spices are handy
- Put three cups of water to boil in a Hawkins Ventura.
- Wash the rice and dal, drain partially reserving about half a cup, and put in Hawkins Ventura along with turmeric powder directly. Note: I used a 3 litre venture which cooks amazingly fast.
- Fry all ingredients for paste except coconut in one teaspoon oil stirring continously till golden.
- Add coconut and fry for 1 more minute. Keep aside for cooling. Note: I stored this in the fridge for my weekly supplies and dint need to grate.
- Cut Vegetables and Micro on high for 4 minutes. Note: You might want to also do this the previous day. I cut very fast.
- Grind the fried ingredients to a fine paste adding a little water.
- Set aside Tamarind pulp from the fridge.
8th to 10 minute
- By now the rice and dal in the cooker will be ready, with all pressure released. (The benefits of a small cooker). Add vegetables, paste, tamarind pulp, ghee and salt into the cooker and cook for 2 minutes.
10th to 12th minute
- Fry 3 papads in the microwave.
- Roast groundnuts on high for 45 seconds in a microwave for serving
Most of what we prepare and post on this blog is in fact quite quick. You might want to check this handy super fast dosa for a quick breakfast recipe. Cooking fast is not just preparation but also clever use of time.
But one thing is for sure, it took much more time to type this recipe than to cook!!!