- Raw rice – 1cup
- Bengal gram dal – 1 tea spoon
- Mustard – 1 tea spoon
- Urad dal – 1 tea spoon
- Red chillies – 1 (optional)
- Cashew nuts- 5 nos (cut into pieces)
- Green chillies – 2
- Salt -to taste
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Grated coconut – 1 cup tightly packed
- Curry leaves -1 twig
- Ghee- 1 table spoon+1 teaspoon for mixing
- Pressure cook rice adding 2 cups water.The rice grains should be separate.
- Heat ghee in a kadai, add mustard, after it splutters add bengal gram dal, urad dal, red chillies.*Add cashews after a while and fry till golden.
- Add green chillies, curry leaves and coconut. Stir continously on a medium flame till the coconut turns slightly golden in colour.
- Transfer the rice into a shallow bowl, Allow to cool a little, add 1 teaspoon ghee. This helps to separate the rice grains.
- Add the coconut mixture, **mix lightly with out mashing the rice.
- Transfer to a serving bowl .Serve with papad and vadaam.
*Cashews fry faster than the dals so add after a while. If you are not comfortable fry them separately.
**A flat laddle called thuduppu is ideal to mix the variety rice.