This rice can be prepared quickly if you have the masala powder ready in your fridge.
Preparation time 10 minutes.
Cooking time 10 minutes.
- Rice – 1 cup
- Cauliflower – 1 and 1/2 cup (cut into florets)
- Green Peas – 1/2 (half) cup)
- 4 Curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds (rai)
- Hing 1/8th of a tsp
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Ghee
*Ingredients for the masala powder:
- 1 tbsp Corriander Seeds
- 2 tbsp Channa dal
- 2 tbsp Urad dal
- 3 dry Red chillies (reduce if you need less spicy)
- 1/6th tsp Hing (Asafoetida)
- 1 tbsp Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1/4th tsp Fenugreek seeds (Methi)
- 25mm (1 stick) Dalchini
- 1 Clove
- 1 Elachi (Green cardamom)
- 1/4th cup dry coconut grated
- 1 teaspoon oil
Method For the masala powder
- Pour 1 tsp oil in a frying pan and roast the ingredients for the powder except dry coconut and roast in medium flame till it turns golden. Add dry coconut and fry for 10 seconds.
- Grind the roasted ingredients in a mixer to coarse powder.
- Store this powder in an air-tight container.
Method for the rice
- Clean, wash and cook rice (for one portion of rice add 2 cups of water) – Prefer to use normal rice (not Basmati rice). Allow the rice to cook in any cooker. Each grain of the rice should be separate.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds. After the mustard seeds crackle, add Hing, Curry leaves, Turmeric Powder and Green Peas and saute for a few minutes.
- Then add Cauliflower and add salt (1/2 tsp – if required add to taste) saute till cauliflower is cooked;
- Now add the Masala powder (2 tbsp – you can more or less add to suit your taste)
- **Put-off the flame and add rice and ghee. Mix lightly with out breaking the rice grains.
- Transfer to a serving bowl (check the salt/taste of the ingredients)
- Serve with Plain curd, mint raita or vegetable raita or a roasted papad.
*The masala powder can be prepared and stored in airtight containers in the fridge for 2 months.
** Allow the rice to cool a little in a shallow dish and add the ghee to it. This will help to keep the rice grains separate.