This is a recipe I learnt from my mom in law (who is an expert at cooking up yummy kootus).
Cooking time 15 minutes.
Drumsticks – two medium length
Moong Dal – 1/2 cup
Curry leaves 1 tablespoons, finely chopped
Mustard Seeds 1/2 teaspoon
Turmeric Powder 1/4 teaspoon
Hing a small piece.
Urad Dal 2 teaspoons.
Channa Dal 2 teaspoons.
Coriander Seeds 1/2 teaspoon
Red Chillies 2 nos
Grated Coconut – 1 tablespoon
Salt to Taste
Sesame Oil – 1 teaspoon
Oil for cooking 1 teaspoon.
Method 1. Steam Moong Dal with turmeric powder , in a pressure cooker until it is soft and can be blended easily with a ladle. Use about 2 cups water.
2. Chop the Drumstick into 3 inch pieces, add turmeric powder and parboil in a microwave for 6 minutes on high or on a stove on a medium flame for 10 minutes with 1/2 cup water.
3. Heat sesame oil in a Kadai, add urad dal, channa dal, coriander seeds and red chillies and fry till the dals golden. Remove from flame and add coconut . Be sure not to over cook the dals, the right amount of roasting is crucial to the taste.
4. Keep aside to cool and grind to a paste – add two tablespoons of water if you need to. Remove the Moong Dal from the cooker, blend with a ladle and keep it ready.
5. Heat some oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds.
6. Add the drumstick and moong dal once the mustard seeds crackle. (you can also parboil the drumsticks at this stage if you dont use a microwave, though this is rather prolonged)
7. Add the ground paste, add salt and let the kootu simmer for a while till it reaches a boiling point and froth starts to appear on top.
8 . Add finely chopped curry leaves.
Serve with rotis or rice.