Some of the visitors wanted the recipe for simple bitter gourd curry. I prepare this curryatleast twice in a month.
- Bitter gourd (Karela or Pavakkai) – 1/2 kg
- Oil – 2 tbs
- Grated Coconut – 3 tbs
- Tamarind – lemon sized ball
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- 2 teaspoons sugar and 1/2 tsp salt for marinating*.
- Cut the bitter gourd into half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and cut into thin slices.
- Add 2 tsp sugar and 1/2 tsp salt and leave to marinate for 1/2 hour. Squeeze the slices well to remove bitterness.
- Soak tamarind in warm water and extract around 2 tablespoons of thick pulp.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds. When it crackles add the bitter gourd slices.
- Add turmeric, salt and saute well. Saute on medium flame for 5 minutes. Add the tamarind pulp and cook for some time till the juice dries up.
- Saute on a low flame till the slices are golden.Add chili powder and grated coconut and saute for 2 more minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve as a side dish with rice or chapathi.
*Marinating is optional.
Bitter gourd can also be prepared as pavakkai pitlai, Kuzhambu etc.