Chocolate is soul food for me, chocolate is the most delicious thing on earth. There is no equivalent to the experience of placing a perfectly shiny piece of chocolate on your tongue, letting it melt slowly in your mouth till it goes all around and then chewing it when it becomes too irresistible. I love cooking with chocolate mostly because I end up eating a lot of it neat while chopping.
That said I don’t exactly start my day with hot chocolate – its one of those things I make when I am particularly tired mentally. Every bit of making hot chocolate is invigorating – starting with the aroma of chocolate that is beginning to melt to the whisking of chocolate to a smooth shiny consistency. I like my hot chocolate dark and rich with not too much milk or flavourings.
Ingredients (for one serving of hot chocolate)
- Dark chocolate – 2 ounces (I use 2 1/2 ounces for darker hot chocolate)
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Warm Milk – 1/2 cup (adjust as per taste)
- Honey – 1 tsp
- Vanilla extract or flavouring of choice – 1/2 tsp
- Chop chocolate with a serrated knife.
- Warm water in the microwave for 20 seconds on high. Add chopped chocolate, whisk and microwave on high for 1 minute or so. Stir once in between after the first 30 seconds.
- Whisk the chocolate well till its smooth and shiny. Add honey and vanilla and mix well.
- Pour into serving cup. Let it cool to lukewarm.
- Warm slightly, pour warm milk and serve.
Other Recipe Marathoners:
- Ranji - Vaighanache Upkari with Thambale Pudi
- Swati – Kheema Masala
- Bhags – Asparagi Riso
- Dhivya – Blueberry Vol-au-vents
- Siri - Tali Hui Bhindi
- Divya – Orange Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Srivalli – Seru Keerai Paruppu, Beetroot Stir Fry and Curd Rice
- Raaga – Raspberry Raisin Ring
- Arundathi – Mushroom Rolls