In bangalore tomato is available throughout the year. The only problem is , the price fluctuates from Rs.5 per kg to Rs.40 per kg with in a span of three months! I buy a few kilos when it is cheap and make this paste. The paste can be stored in the freezer for more than three months, in Tupperware containers. I am giving the timings for 1 kg tomato.
- Wash the tomatoes and drain the water.
- In a Microwave safe container, MW at 600 watts covered for 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes and grind to a smooth paste. Pass through a strainer if required and grind again.
- Transfer the pulp to the same MW container and MW at 600 watts for 1/2 hour stirring once in 5 minutes.
- Pour this into a freezer container and allow to cool. Keep in the freezer and use as you like.
- Take out the pulp from the freezer 15 minutes before use. It is easy to scoop out with an ice cream scoop.
This is my entry for Srivalli’s basic MW cooking event.
Storing in freezer container
You can use the pulp for Preparing
- Tomato thokku.
- All gravies for which you need tomato paste.
- Tomato rice
Hope all of you find this preparation useful.
I have published a post on Microwave cooking tips almost 2 months back. That is my second entry for Srivallis event.