Rolling out rounds of dough into rotis, wraps and tawa breads is the top activity that I engage in as far as cooking is concerned. Spreads come in handy and act as an additional side dish for those “I am feeling lazy to cook” days.
Preparation Time: 5 mins, Cooking Time: 10 minutes, Yield – 1 1/2 cups
- 4 Plums
- 2 Bananas
- 2 Star Anise (or any other flavourings of choice – vanilla pods, cloves and so on)
- 1/2 tbsp to 1 tbsp Sugar*
- 4 to 6 tbsp Water**
- Remove the stone from the plums and quarter. Slice the bananas into rounds.
- Transfer Plums to a Microwave safe glass bowl and micro on high for 2 minutes. Add the Bananas and micro on high for an additional minute.
- Stir and mash the contents of the bowl well. Add the Star Anise, Water and Sugar and mix well.
- Micro on high for 6 minutes. Stir and Mash well after the 2nd minute and 4th minute. Check consistency after the 4th minute and add an additional tablespoon of water if necessary. Continue to Microwave stirring after every minute.
- Check consistency after the 6th minute and microwave for an additional minute or so if required (i.e. the mixture is very loose or fruits haven’t become pulpy). Remove the Star Anise and wait until the spread cools down. Transfer to a storage container and chill.
Serve with Breads or over Ice Cream.
*Adjust according to tartness of fruits. Banana acts as a natural sweetener.
**Adjust according to the juiciness of the fruits
“The Heart of the Matter- eating for life” is a monthly event focused on promoting heart friendly healthy eating. Do head over to the HotM blog to browse through this wonderful collection of recipes. Plum Banana Spread is my entry for September’s theme Fruits and Berries hosted by Ilva from Lucullian delights. Thanks Bee and Jai for pointing us to this event.
Note: The event ends on September 23rd.