Vella seedai is a must for janmashtami! Quite a simple snack! Use the fresh rice flour and urad dal flour prepared for these snacks (follow this link for instructions on flour preparation).
- Rice flour – 2 cups (follow link for instructions on Rice Flour preparation)
- Urad dal flour – 1 table spoon (follow link for instructions on Urad Dal Flour preparation)
- Jaggery – 1 and 1/2 cup
- Cardamom – 2 nos
- Coconut cut into small pieces – 2 tablespoons
- Ghee – 1 table spoon
- Oil – 1 cup for deep frying
- Mix the flours, cardamom powder and the coconut pieces in a container.
- In a kadai mix jaggery with 1 cup waterand boil on a medium flame.
- Once jaggery melts, pass through a filter to remove the dirt.
- Clean the kadai and boil again.
- Keep the flame low and add the ingredients mixed together.
- Stir well, this will form a ball. add 1 tablespoon ghee and mix. leave to cool for a while.
- Make 1 inch balls with the dough.
- Heat oil in a kadai, on a medium to low flame fry a few balls at a time till they are brown.
- Drain well and take out on a kitchen paper. The vella seedai is dark brown and slightly broken.
- Your vella seedai is ready for the neivedyam!