- Rice flour – 2 cups
- Maida – 1/2 cup
- Wheat flour – 1/2 cup
- Pottukadalai or chutney dal(Urikadale)- 1/2 cup
- Dessicated dry coconut (Kopra) – 1/2 cup
- Ghee – 1 table spoon
- Hing – 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- Oil – 2 cups for deep frying
- Grind the pottukadalai and kopra to a fine powder.
- Lightly roast the wheat flour and maida together on a low flame till it turns light golden.
- In a large bowl mix the rice flour, ground pottukadalai and the roasted flours.
- Add ghee, salt, hing chilli powder and water and knead to a thick dough.
- Heat oil in a kadai on a medium flame.
- Take a little dough and shape into rings (Thickness of a pencil)
- Fry a few rings at a time on low to medium flame, stirring occasionally.
- When the sound subsides, drain and take out on a kitchen paper.
- Store in air tight containers.
The oil should be on medium heat while dropping the rings and reduced to low till it gets cooked.