The Rice flour and Urad dal flour for Seedai, Thattai, Vella seedai (Traditional Tamil Festival Snacks) are the same. You can prepare the flour in one go. To make lovely coloured and crunchy snacks this is the best maavu (flour).
If you are grinding in a mixie, make one kg maavu. If you are grinding in a flour mill you can grind more.
- Wash and soak the required amount of rice for 15 minutes.
- Drain well and spread on a white cloth to dry for 10 minutes.
- Grind little rice at a time a seive to get soft flour.
- Repeat with all the rice.
- Alternatively you can grind in a flour mill.
- Lightly dry roast the flour on a low flame till the flour becomes hot and slightly yellowish. This is to remove the moisture.
- You can make this a day before and store in an air tight container.
Urad dal flour
- Dry roast 2 cups urad dal till golden.
- Allow to cool and grind to a super fine powder.
- Store in an air tight container.